Nikujaga is a Japanese style meat and potato stew. This food is usually eaten by families in Japan during winter because it warms the body and restores appetite during cold weather.
Ingredients (for 4 servings):
- 3 medium potatoes
- 100 grams of beef, thinly sliced
- 1 onion
- 1 carrot
- 100 grams of Shirataki (can be replaced with vermicelli)
- 50 grams of green beans
- 2 tablespoons of cooking oil
- 200 cc of fish stock
- 5 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons sweet soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon cooking wine
- 1 teaspoon salt or to taste
How to make:
- Peel the potatoes and chop them, then soak them in water so they don’t change color. Soak the vermicelli in water until soft, then drain and cut into 10 cm pieces.
- Slice the carrots, cut the green beans into matchsticks, and thinly slice the onion.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan, then saute the onions and vegetables (except the green beans) until they’re wilted. Add fish stock, sugar, salt, cooking wine, and soy sauce. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the meat and beans, then cook until the beans are cooked. Remove from heat and serve warm.